Tuesday 9 March 2010

History of an Opening

This is a scanning and formatting/ editing task I've intended to do for some time, and at last done. It is the Opening Service of the Hull Unitarian Church in 1977. Looking at it, the theology contained simply would not be expressed today or even implied, other than by a few visiting preachers (and not by Peter Godfrey I am sure). Nevertheless, that's the point, and consistent with changes to expressed theology through history as within the overview I wrote years ago. The painting here (by me in 1995) comes from a photograph in the mid 1980s showing the Minister (1955-2000), the Rev. Ernest Penn, who was in large part responsible for broadening out the theology of the church in dialogue with the congregation. Click on it to see it larger.

6 comments:

Erika Baker said...

You really should paint/draw professionally. It's a crime that you're not an illustrator working in publishing.

Pluralist (Adrian Worsfold) said...

It's a good thought - and couples with other comment received that I'm a crap teacher but can write teaching materials. Well, it's how to get in to such a line.

Mike Killingworth said...

Well I guess you look around for the textbook you wish you had, and then write it!

Going back to the service, I think the last two hymns are fit for purpose yet - I use "Nun Danket" myself. Some of the words in the purple book are, well, soppy.

Erika Baker said...

I'll ask Susan's daughter, she works in publishing and her ex husband is a children's author.
Send me an email with the kind of questions you'd want to ask and I'll see what I can do.

Pluralist (Adrian Worsfold) said...

Let me think about this Erika for a little while, and thank you.

Pluralist (Adrian Worsfold) said...

I think the purple book (Sing Your Faith) takes a risk or three, but it has been worth taking. It's a large book too, and so far at £10 before postage isn't more expensive than if it were slimmer. I'm sure Hull will use it.