Saturday 3 July 2010

New Vicar Comes to Barton


Bartonians are pleased to note that after a three month gap and a Spanish interlude, the Rev. Eric Clapton is the new soon to be vicar of Barton-upon-Humber. Evensongs will contain such elaborate anthems as Wonderful Tonight and Layla.

So welcome back. Those who are my Facebook friends (if I have any) can see some more of this garden party event. Meanwhile, click on a photo to see it much larger.

Meanwhile...

As part of my new career as a composer of religious anthems, I am inspired to offer this to choirs around the country:

It's late in the evening; we're wondering if the choir will croak.
The people gather up and gargle their long used throats.
And then choirman asks, "Will you sound all right?"
And they say, "Yes, we're acceptable tonight."

We go to evensong and few come there to hear
The robed up choir that's sings so much with fear.
And then one asks him, "Do you feel all right?"
And he says, "No, I feel nervous now tonight."

I feel so nervous because we know
We sound like a foghorn.
This music of evensong
Is that you just don't realise that we must perform.

It's time to go home now and we've got our aching heads,
So there's rattle of car keys and members into bed.
And then he tells her, as she puts down her purse,
He said, "My darling, we were so off-note and cursed.
Oh my darling, at least this part is rehearsed."

No comments: