Sunday 4 July 2010

Restoration

It has been an historic second meeting between the Most Rev. Rowanov Treetri, the Archbishop of Anglicanism, and Rev. Dr John John, who is being fast tracked on a slow train to become the Bishop of South Ack in the Church in England, his second attempt at being a Bishop since he was persuaded away from becoming Bishop of Bookworm.

Rowanov Treetri: I asked you to come today because although we have a formal system of selecting and appointing bishops, you and I know that these things are decided on a far more informal basis even if it is what is formal matters as regards the Anglican Communion. You've hit the jackpot this time; you've got the job, in the safe space of South Ack.

John John: I hit the jackpot, as you put it, last time; it was you who sat here crying your eyes out and asked me to bless you after you told me to stand down, because if I didn't I could rip the Anglican Communion apart. What has changed?

Rowanov Treetri: That was Bookworm, and at that time Bookworm was quite hostile. This is not Bookworm, this is about the balance of the Church in England and the appropriate appointment for more or less liberal South Ack, and also you were canon there. And the common consent, the general mind, as it can be measured, would be that these days I am much more in control.

John John: Really?

Rowanov Treetri: It has been observed that The Episcopal Church is receiving a good kicking, and it has become the case that the Standing Committee is more or less where I want it despite the odd resignation here and there, which we can handle. So I have some room to manouvre: give a bit, take a bit, a little bit here, a little bit there, innit. Mexico has said yes to the Covenant, so it is coming along nicely.

John John: I would not ask her to hold her hat.

Rowanov Treetri: Well there was controversy laid at my door for this, which shows again the need for a little detailed balance in the other direction. After all, now that I have a better grip, I would more boldly point out that you are not doing any of the more naughty things at bedtime, at least not in public.

John John: I wasn't doing anything in public then. We shut the door at night. They didn't focus on that, though, did they: they focused on my views. Unlike you, Archbishop, my public views have not changed.

Rowanov Treetri: But the argument runs and which I can make that your public views are within the Anglican Communion Covenant - it does allow a variety of views: simply not a gay man or lesbian as a bishop who formally opens out to the public about a current gay sexual experience. And in any case, although my public views have changed, my private views have not, at least not sufficiently for those who welcome my public views.

John John: So any campaign against me this time, and you will not buckle.

Rowanov Treetri: I think it is clear that I am not saying that.

John John: What?

Rowanov Treetri: I am not making any predictions about public campaigning.

John John: You could have another campaign from evangelicals, you also have the Pope coming, you want to stop traditionalists going to his Ordinariates.

Rowanov Treetri: I did misunderstand the mood about the Pope. At first said I thought all Anglicans would want to extend him a huge welcome to this country. It then seemed that few people actually will welcome him and so I had misjudged the public mood. So I am not now too concerned about what the Pope thinks. Secondly, he damaged relations in giving the go-ahead for Anglican style Ordinariates in the UK, under his direct authority. I don't particularly like how that bypasses the English Catholic bishops. Bishops are very important, even if the chief bishop is important, like me. So again we have a lesson in collegiate bishops to offer him. And then there is my private opinion: that is, he can come to Britain if he wants. And as for the people who'd leave, well John Sendmehome and I are arranging a method for Synod to keep them that looks like being rejected. It is as such useful to show my limitations in this Church, while I get a grip over the Anglican Communion, where it really matters.

John John: The evangelicals?

Rowanov Treetri: I don't think Fulcrum likes me as much as they did any more. It is useful for me to show reciprocity regarding one particular faction: I was never their prisoner.

John John: The new coalition? Is that a factor?

Rowanov Treetri: Well, if they allow religious elements in Civil Partnerships, in the places where they hold them now, then there will be no special role for some liberal competitor denominations, and I'd like to encourage that.

John John: Encourage?

Rowanov Treetri: Well, by putting you into South Ack, by having general religious elements for Civil Partnerships, but not civil marriages, we continue to let the Church in England have at least the appearance of a more liberal element, and at the same time reduce the potential rebirth of competitors. You will of course say the Declaration of Assent?

John John: That's the easiest part. All sorts of people say that. So the evangelicals?

Rowanov Treetri: We'll have to see how the balance goes. Now if you'll forgive me I must move on to other things, I have to see how my Secretary General is getting on.

John John: Well I forgive you.

2 comments:

Brother David said...

This may be his 2nd time to be short listed in the CoE, but his 3rd time to be short listed for a See. Do recall that his home church, the Church in Wales, short listed him for the See of St Asaph.

Pluralist (Adrian Worsfold) said...

Ah, Llanelwy.