Saturday 8 June 2013

Service on Belief and Sanctuary

The Service for Sunday 9th June is ready. Last week an attender from the 1980s (like me) said after all this time he still does not know what I believe. So this is the basis of the sermon. So is my use of Seven Steps to Sanctuary, from Abbot (of Worth Abbey) Christopher Jamison's 2006 book Finding Sanctuary: Monastic Steps for Everyday Life, London: Weidenfeld and Nicolson. It also forms a liturgy, which might or might not gain the approval of Abbot Jamison. I only differ in that I think you can draw on the resources of more than one religion, but I agree that religions offer resources on the human condition and I am indeed sceptical of some purchased New Age approaches. The two aspects come together in what I'd call practical realism. The importance of the collective aspect is given by the hymn choices of 172, 174, 175 and 176 from Hymns for Living. I'm not the non-realist that I used to be, but I am this-worldly. The music is ready too. I like a gap of a day: it allows for pausing and panicking should there be a problem.

No comments: