Friday 20 November 2009

Another Old Sermon

Some weeks back I took another box of old sermons from the late Unitarian minister Ernest Penn's retention of what he had delivered. I like to find the old ones as well as the new. The oldest, rummaging through, seems to be from 1958. So I set about typing it out. Phew, it's difficult. I can't always read his handwriting, and some of it drops to note form which he will deliver without a hitch.

There is no doubt in my mind that he would not have delivered this when I heard him, from 1985 to 1989 and from 1994 to about 2002. In a way it makes the mistake he identifies about the Unitarian label, in giving the approach a 'foundation' of the Fatherhood of God. He definitely would not have used the phrase 'leadership of Jesus' when I heard him. Quite interesting.

The title is mine: The Fatherhood of God and Divine Sonship. As becomes obvious, the Divine Sonship is shared by all people. He never quite arrived at inclusive language, and in 1958 certainly did not use inclusive language.

Here is the Ernest Penn sermon.

Here is a choice of Unitarian material.

Here is the widest choices of service material that I offer.

Meanwhile, here is a sermon I heard on Wednesday morning in an Anglican church, given by the husband of the curate, he a one time Methodist minister and now lay Anglican going up the candle, who recently used neither candle nor light switch at night so fell down his stairs and broke his arm.

No comments: